Keeping track of money
So, in the last campaign, I was very lax on making players keep track of money. However, I think I've come up with a tool that should make it easier to keep track of money. I'm going to make each player keep a detailed record of what they have, and what they buy. To help with that, I've come up with a system using pennies and poker chips to facilitate that. Basically, at the beginning of each game, I'm going to give each player a combination of pennies and chips that adds up to what they have in their inventory. Then, with each transaction, we'll actually roleplay money changing hands. A penny will be worth a copper piece. A white chip is one gold piece, a red chip is ten gold pieces, a blue chip is one hundred gold pieces, and a chip painted gold is one thousand gold pieces. At the end of each game, when I'm awarding XP, I'll also ask everyone to record in their 'ledger' what amount of money that they have on hand, for the next time we play. This should eliminate confusion as to how much the party actually has.
Keeping this in mind, if the party as a whole comes upon treasure, or are paid, it will be an actual physical event within the game. They'll get chips or pennies handed to them by me, the gamemaster. A party treasurer may be in order, or the party may wish to immediately divide the spoils.
Still haven't made a decision about GURPS or D20 yet. Still reading. If I do decide to go with D20 again, I may need someones help (I'm looking at you Duley) to run me through a small adventure to refresh my memory about the rules. Same thing applies for GURPS as well. The rules have always been secondary to me, but I do think I need to be more comfortable with whatever rule system we end up using.
Keeping this in mind, if the party as a whole comes upon treasure, or are paid, it will be an actual physical event within the game. They'll get chips or pennies handed to them by me, the gamemaster. A party treasurer may be in order, or the party may wish to immediately divide the spoils.
Still haven't made a decision about GURPS or D20 yet. Still reading. If I do decide to go with D20 again, I may need someones help (I'm looking at you Duley) to run me through a small adventure to refresh my memory about the rules. Same thing applies for GURPS as well. The rules have always been secondary to me, but I do think I need to be more comfortable with whatever rule system we end up using.

1 Comments:
I like having chunky chits in a game, for example, it fits well in Deadlands. Chits give a more tangible feel to spending precious resources. If GP and money in general are rare and valuable commodities, then I suppose it could work.
Post a Comment
<< Home